Warning Signals for Potential Incompetency and/or Undue Influence
When looking for signs of potential incompetency or undue influence there are warning signals you should be aware of. Here are some signs that should put you on guard:
- Unnatural dispositions.
- Owner’s poor medical condition.
- Last minute change to estate plan.
- Changing from owner’s long-time attorney to the beneficiary’s attorney.
- Beneficiary is in the room when owner discusses new estate plan with attorney.
- Beneficiary isolates owner from others.
- Beneficiary is represented by a professional fundraiser.
- Target owner: a person who is feeble, dependent, wealthy and has no immediate family.
- Last minute marriage to dying person.
- Beneficiary’s questionable relationship with decedent.
- New beneficiary ends up with every last cent to the exclusion of other natural beneficiaries.
- Beneficiary refusal to share personal effects of sentimental value with other natural heirs.
- Plan makes no sense in light of relationship.